Bee-killing insecticide contains toxic chemicals that some people---especially parents of small children---may not want in their homes. They may prefer nontoxic home remedies for killing bees instead. Vinegar is an effective way of attracting bees to bee traps, which are available at home improvement, hardware or gardening stores. Bee traps are filled with a sugary liquid that includes vinegar and attracts bees. Once bees enter the trap, they are unable to exit and will drown in the vinegar mixture. Use apple cider vinegar because of its high sugar content.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dish soap
- Bee trap
Mix 1 cup of water with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. Add 2 tbsp of sugar and a drop of dish soap. Mix until the sugar dissolves. The sugar and apple cider vinegar attract the bees, while the dish soap prevents them from flying.
Open the bee trap and pour the mixture inside to fill it.
Screw the lid tight and set the trap outside. You can also set the trap near you during picnics to prevent bees from pestering you.
Tips and warnings
- Contact a professional exterminator if you are unable to kill the bees with the vinegar trap. Choose an exterminator who uses environmentally friendly products.
- Consider contacting a beekeeper to relocate the bees rather than killing them.
- Do not attempt to kill the bees if you have or are planning to have a garden that needs to be pollinated.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for