It's somewhat ironic that laptop computers can't actually be used in the lap. The heat produced by the high-speed processors make the bottom of any laptop too uncomfortable. Every laptop comes with a cooling system. But, like the air conditioner at home, over time the vents can become clogged and the entire system is less effective. Before purchasing a new cooling system, clean the computer. Vacuum the vents to remove dust and debris. If possible, remove the fan cover and wipe the blades with a soft cloth. If the computer is still running hot, it's time for an upgrade.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cooling system
- Power source
Compare laptop coolers. There are many different laptop cooling systems on the market today. Some are basically small desktops with channels to allow heat to escape. Others have small powered fans. Some don't support the laptop. There are several small fans that attach to the USB port and force air under the computer.
Observe how your computer is used most. If you use your laptop at a desk, then a larger model may work best. If your laptop is always on the go, look at the smaller models that fit into a computer bag. If you use your laptop on some sort of lap desk, many models may not fit or may hang off the edge. Measure the lap desk to make sure that the cooler will fit.
Choose your cooling system. Once you have determined your needs, the right cooling system is easy to find.
Install your cooler. Some coolers simply rest below the computer with no moving parts. Other systems require a power source of some kind. Many come with a USB plug. Check the instructions that came with your model.
Tips and warnings
- If you use your computer on the run, you may want to chose a cooling system that is not powered or uses batteries. This will protect the battery life of your computer.
- Avoid chill pads that go into the refrigerator or freezer. These cause condensation and can lead to moisture inside of the laptop.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for