Knitting is an art that has yielded gifts of blankets, pillows, socks and even dolls. Those who knit say that it's an easy hobby. For those with not so nimble fingers, however, knitting is difficult. The knitting loom is a round or square instrument with pegs designed to make it easy for almost anyone to knit. Make almost anything with the variety of shapes and sizes of looms available, and discover how to do short rows on a 40-peg knitting loom.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Knitting tool
Wrap the pegs of your loom according to the pattern you intend to use; for this exercise, we use a slipper sock pattern.
Wrap short rows by wrapping pegs according to pattern; for this exercise, we use pegs 1 to 12.
Wrap pegs 1 to 12 back and forth. Use pegs 1 and 12 as turning pegs, and do not wrap a second loop around them. Wrap yarn like this for four rows.
Move the loop from peg 12 to peg 11; your free yarn should be on peg 1. Wrap the yarn from peg 1 to peg 11 and knit by pulling the bottom row of yarn over the top on each peg. Knit peg 11 by pulling the bottom row of yarn over the top two rows.
Take the loop from peg 1 and place it on peg 2; your free yarn will be at peg 11. Wrap yarn from peg 11 to peg 2, and knit them by pulling the bottom row of yarn over the top on each peg. Knit peg 2 by pulling the bottom row of yarn over the top two rows.
Move the loop from peg 11 to peg 10; wrap the yarn from peg 2 to peg 10 and knit as explained in Step 5.
Move yarn from peg 2 to peg 3; wrap yarn from peg 10 to peg 3 and knit as explained in Step 6.
Move yarn from peg 10 to peg 9; wrap yarn from peg 3 to peg 9 and knit as explained in Step 7.
Move yarn from peg 3 to peg 4; wrap yarn from peg 9 to peg 4 and knit as explained in Step 8.
Move the loops that are no longer attached to the loom and evenly attach them to each peg, including pegs 4, 9, 13 and 24. Wrap yarn around each peg on the loom to resume normal knitting. Knit the pegs that have three loops as if the two top loops are one. Knit the rest of the project according to your chosen pattern.
Tips and warnings
- Short panel instructions vary by pattern. This article focuses on making a short panel for the heel of a pair of slipper socks. The size of the loom and the type of project determine the exact stitches and where to turn them.
- Wrapping yarn means to wrap yarn around each peg clockwise going around the loom in a counterclockwise motion. Wrap around each peg on the loom twice, then knit by using the knitting tool to pull the bottom loop over the top one on each peg. In cases where there are three loops due to shortening a row, treat the top two loops as one.
- When wrapping the yarn, do not pull the loops too tight or you will not be able to knit them. Wrap them slightly loose as you go around the loom the first and second times.
- The knitting tool is pointed metal; keep it out of reach of children.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for