Grease is a common problem typically seen on kitchen walls. While cooking, grease splatters and lands on your painted walls causing an unsightly and difficult-to-remove stain. These stains and spots will cause your walls to look dingy and dirty. Fortunately, a variety of methods can successfully remove the grease from your painted walls. These methods use inexpensive items that most households keep on hand. If the first method you try does not remove the grease, move on to the next method.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Distilled white vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Rubbing alcohol
- Commercial degreaser
Mix equal parts distilled white vinegar with cool water in a clean spray bottle. Swish the contents around slightly to combine them.
Spray the painted wall with the vinegar-water mixture.
Scrub gently with a clean sponge. Repeat the process until the grease is gone. If the grease remains, try using undiluted distilled white vinegar for a stronger grease cutting solution.
Dampen a clean sponge with cool water. Sprinkle cornstarch over the sponge.
Scrub the grease spot gently with the sponge. Continue scrubbing--adding more cornstarch if needed--until you have removed the grease.
Wipe the painted walls clean with a damp cloth.
Dampen the corner of a cloth with rubbing alcohol.
Rub the grease with the corner of the cloth in a gentle circular motion. Add more rubbing alcohol to the cloth if needed. Continue rubbing until you have removed the grease from the painted walls.
Wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Spray a cloth liberally with a commercial degreaser.
Rub the grease lightly with the cloth until the grease is no longer visible.
Rinse the painted walls by wiping with a damp cloth.
Tips and warnings
- Always use a primer before painting a wall. The primer will keep spots and stains--such as grease--that were not removed from leaking through to the new paint.
- Test the grease removal method on an inconspicuous area of the painted wall. If damage or discolouration occurs, discontinue use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for