Connecting a PlayStation 2 controller to a laptop is a very easy process, requiring only a converter, which may be purchased online for less than £13 or at an electronics store. The converter attaches to the laptop or PC through a USB port and the PS2 controller is then plugged into the other end, which will have one or two ports for supporting controllers. These also work for PS/PS1 controllers, and some versions support the vibration feature of the larger PlayStation controllers. These convertible controllers may also be purchased online or at retail electronics stores.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- PlayStation 2 PSX-to-PC USB Converter
- Controller with options for use with PC or PlayStation
Purchase a PSX-to-PC USB converter or a controller that allows the user the option of plugging it into either a PlayStation or PlayStation 2 console or into a computer's USB port. The Cyborg V.5 RumblePad is a controller with options for use with computer or PlayStation.
Plug the PSX-to-PC converter into one of the free USB ports on the laptop. Then plug one or two PlayStation or PlayStation 2 controllers into the open controller ports on the end of the converter. If converter supports only one controller there will be only one port. If the Cyborg controller was purchased instead of a converter, simply plug the USB end into a free USB port on the laptop or computer and the controller is ready for use.
Test the controller or controller converter with a game to ensure the conversion or controller is working properly. Video game accessories are often created fast, and having a defective part is not uncommon. Knowing sooner that a part needs to be exchanged can save a lot of frustration later.
Tips and warnings
- The official Sony PlayStation website discourages consumers from using non-Sony approved accessories with PlayStation systems, stressing concern that there may be compatibility issues that could overwork the game system. Sony brand and Logitech brand are listed as acceptable.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for