Checking into a hotel anonymously and discreetly is an easy process. It may feel that you are doing something dishonest but wanting privacy and deceiving people are two separate issues. It is entirely legal to check into a hotel under a different name. The hotel may need confirmation of your actual identity but they will adhere to the name that you have registered in when booking your room. Whether you book your hotel by telephone, online or in person, it is possible to remain anonymous.
- Skill level:
Choose a pseudonym, a name that is anonymous and would not really be noticed. This is the name you will register in at your hotel. For example, Sebastian Melmoth was the name that Oscar Wilde was registered at in L'Hotel (originally called Hotel d'Alsace) in Paris. Wilde spent his final days here and the hotel even arranged his funeral.
Use cash for payment. If you are worried that someone may check your credit card or bank account statement, use cash. This will mean the only record of you having stayed in the hotel will be the receipt that the hotel will give upon payment. This can easily be thrown away and only you will see this information.
Pick a hotel that is discreet and trustworthy. Find somewhere you will feel safe and protected, either a hotel that you know well and trust or something that is out of the way.
Use a contact address that suits your needs. If your hotel asks for a contact address and telephone number and you prefer not to use your home address; use an address of a friend or family member (by prior arrangement) that works for you. The only reason a hotel needs this information is if there is a problem with your bill, if you leave something valuable at the hotel or if any other problem has occurred during your stay. Therefore, it is unlikely that they will ever contact you.
Tips and warnings
- If you book online, use your pseudonym for the name that you are registering in.
- If you book online, ensure that you delete your history on the computer and the confirmation e-mails.
- Showing an identity card, driving licence or passport at the hotel does not stop you from registering under a pseudonym, the hotel will be happy to be discreet.
- Do not use fake identification, a false address, or give the hotel misleading or false information of any kind.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for