The shower stall is the ideal location for mould and mildew to form since the fungus thrives in damp, warm places. When mould and mildew are left unattended, this member of the fungus family spreads to nearby surfaces and can cause damage. While commercial products are available to remove mould and mildew from your shower, you can do the job effectively and economically with homemade remedies using supplies found in the home. Home remedies are cheaper and also spare you the chemical exposure.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- White distilled vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Baking soda
- Clean towel
Pour undiluted white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle. Spray mould and mildew stained areas on your shower surface, making sure to completely saturate them with the vinegar spray, then allow the spray to sit on the mould and mildew for 30 minutes. Vinegar is a natural mould and mildew killer and stain remover.
Apply the vinegar spray to the mouldy shower surface again, using just enough to wet the surface. Wet a sponge and scrub the surface to remove the mould and mildew. The mould and mildew will wipe off very easily without the need to use a lot of elbow grease.
Sprinkle baking soda over any stubborn mould- or mildew-stained areas to use it as a mild abrasive. Cover any areas with mould or mildew smell with baking soda so the baking soda can remove the odour. Let the baking soda sit on the shower surface for 15 minutes.
Scrub stubborn stained areas once more then rinse the shower with cool water and towel dry.
Tips and warnings
- Use a ventilating fan or open a window during showers to remove moisture from the bathroom.
- Substitute undiluted lemon juice to remove mould and mildew from your shower.
- Keep a bottle of undiluted vinegar in the shower. Spray the surface of the shower after each use and allow the vinegar to dry. This will prevent the return of mould and mildew to your shower.
- If mould and mildew persist or odour persists after removing the mould and mildew, call a professional as the mould may have spread inside the walls.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for