Clearing the check engine light on the 2000 Honda Accord should only be performed after the diagnostic trouble code has been read and corrected if necessary. Simply clearing the light does not solve a problem and can even cause more damage to other components. Furthermore, if the correct repairs have been made, the power train control module will detect the repairs through sensors and other circuits after the inspection and maintenance monitors have retested the system and the light would go out on its own. Clearing the light will not fool a shop into passing an emissions test on the car.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- OBD II scanner or pocket scanner with operation manual
Open the driver's side door of the Accord and squat down into the driver's flloorboard area to locate the data link connector under the dash (to the left of the steering column). It is distinctly shaped like a trapezoid, black and uncovered. In the 1996 to 1998 models, the DLC on the Honda Accord was located behind the ashtray.
Plug the cord of the scanner (shaped like the DLC) into the DLC.
Climb into the driver's seat being careful not to unplug the scanner.
Place the key of the Accord into the ignition and then turn the key two clicks forward. This is known as the key-on/engine-off mode, the accessory power mode or the "ll" mode.
Follow the onscreen directions of the scanner or use the operation manual to learn how to use it if not familiar with it. Most pocket scanners are very easy to operate and practically self-explanatory.
Scroll to "Erase Codes" with the scanner or simply press the "Erase" button if applicable with the respective camera.
Start the engine to the Accord and inspect the instrument panel to see of the CEL is no longer illuminated.
Unplug the scanner.
Tips and warnings
- Most Hondas come with theft-deterrent radios. Because of this, it is not recommended to disconnect the battery to clear the CEL unless the security code for the radio and the reset procedure for the radio are known. Otherwise, the radio may not work until the code is obtained and reset.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for