A chocolate fondue fountain adds an extra touch to the refreshments at a baby or bridal shower, and kids love it at their birthday parties. The secret to a successful fondue fountain is to take it slow, don't over cook the chocolate and keep any lumps out of the fountain. Fresh fruit such as strawberries or apples are good for dipping. Angel food cake is also good because it won't fall apart when dipped. The fountain circulates and keeps the chocolate warm but will not melt the chocolate.
Things you need
Chocolate made for fountains
Wash the chocolate fondue fountain. A machine should be washed as soon as you finish using it in order to remove the chocolate. But fountains collect dust so give it a quick washing to remove dust. Dry the chocolate fountain before using.
Buy chocolate designed for chocolate fountains. It flows through the machine better than the solid chocolate bar. A small amount of oil or cocoa butter can be used if needed for better flow. Try not to use more than 2 tbsp because it takes away from the flavour of the chocolate.
Place the fountain in the location it will be used. It's easier to set the fountain up before you put in the chocolate.
Pour the chocolate callets (chocolate for the fountain comes in tiny chocolate droplets called callets) in a microwave safe bowl. Place bowl in microwave.
Microwave the chocolate for 40 seconds. Remove bowl and stir. Repeat until chocolate has melted. It's easy to overcook chocolate so microwave just until it has melted. Microwave time varies according to how much chocolate you're melting. Stir vigorously before putting chocolate in fountain to remove any lumps.
Pour melted chocolate fondue into the bottom of the fountain. If additional chocolate is needed, repeat steps 4 and 5 before adding chocolate to the fountain.
- Don't add fruit to the chocolate fondue. The lumps will clog the machine. Wash the fountain before the chocolate gets cold. It's easier to remove chocolate when it's still warm. Various size fountains can be rented. The sweet of chocolate may attract unwanted insects when used outside.
Tips and Warnings
- Don't add fruit to the chocolate fondue. The lumps will clog the machine.
- Wash the fountain before the chocolate gets cold. It's easier to remove chocolate when it's still warm.
- Various size fountains can be rented.
- The sweet of chocolate may attract unwanted insects when used outside.
Things you need
- Chocolate made for fountains