How to Report a Stolen Birth Certificate

Written by ashleytalley
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Report a Stolen Birth Certificate
(Darrin Klimek/Digital Vision/Getty Images)

Having a birth certificate stolen is a crime that no one should have to endure. Along with identity theft crimes such as social security fraud and credit fraud, stolen birth certificates rank with them. However identity theft happens frequently and if it does occur you need to know how to respond so that your identity will remain protected. Following a few steps after you have become a victim of a stolen birth certificate can give you peace of mind that you have done all you can to protect your identity.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Things you need

  • Social Security Number
  • Local police station

Show MoreHide


  1. 1

    As soon as you notice that your birth certificate has been stolen report the crime to the police as soon as possible. This will give the authorities accurate and proper jurisdiction of where your identification was stolen.

  2. 2

    Emphasise that your account be red flagged. This will alert anyone who tries to pull up your social security number or credit file that your account is being monitored for fraudulent activity. This step will help greatly in preventing any more use of your information fraudulently if this has already occurred.

  3. 3

    Contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). They will assist you, as a victim of identity theft, by giving you knowledge and instruction of the potential financial risks involved with having your identity stolen. The FTC will help you reach a solution of what to do as a result of this crime.

  4. 4

    Get a copy of your credit report. Tell the credit agency that you want an alert placed on your report. Placing an alert on your credit report will require agencies to contact you before a new line of credit can be issued,

  5. 5

    Check all of your bank balances regularly to make sure no new accounts have been issued in your name. If you suspect fraud on your bank account, close the account and open a new one.

Tips and warnings

  • Contact the three major credit bureaus:
  • Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
  • Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
  • Experian: 1-888-397-3742

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.