While hip-hop musicians have long made an impression on clothing trends, some artists have created styles that make them stand out as fashion icons. Run-DMC is such an act. The rap trio was so inspired by their signature Adidas sneakers that they wrote a song about them. In fact, "My Adidas" led to an endorsement deal, the first ever between hip-hop artists and a major corporation. Of course, dressing like Run-DMC requires more than just name-brand athletic shoes.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Black bowler hat or fedora
- Black jeans or leather trousers with coordinating black jacket, or dark track suit
- Black T-shirt, which may include Run-DMC or adidas logo
- Adidas shell-toe basketball trainers, without laces
- Chunky gold chain
Wear basic black shirt, trousers and jacket. In their heyday, the members of Run-DMC typically wore either black jeans and black jackets, black athletic track suits, or coordinating black leather trousers and jackets -- all worn over a dark T-shirt. The Run-DMC, Adidas or other iconic logo is optional.
Pull on the signature Adidas Superstars -- the classic shell-toe basketball trainers. Run-DMC members Run (Joseph Simmons), D.M.C. (Darryl McDaniels) and Jam Master Jay (Jason Mizell) wore theirs without laces. The attention they brought to the Adidas brand was rewarded with a major endorsement deal with the corporation. In fact, they made the shoes so popular, you may even be able to find a knock-off brand that provides a similar look.
Accessorise with a chunky gold chain, very popular in the 1980s. Run-DMC was one of the hip-hop acts that made them fashionable during the years they were cranking out hits such as "My Adidas," "It's Tricky" and "Walk This Way," a collaboration the band did with rock band Aerosmith. Don't go overboard like Mr. T -- just a single thick gold chain will do.
Top off the look with a black bowler hat or fedora, another signature item that the band was rarely seen without.
Tips and warnings
- While one person can pull off the Run-DMC look, if you are going for a costume or tribute, get together a couple of friends. A trio dressed in Run-DMC garb will be much more recognisable than just one person.
- An optional addition to the typical Run-DMC outfit is a pair of thick-rimmed glasses or sunglasses -- black frames, of course.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for