How to Replace a Lost Brazilian Passport

Written by renee price
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Replace a Lost Brazilian Passport
Report stolen passports to the local authorities before applying for a replacement. (passport image by isatori from

If your Brazilian passport is lost or stolen while residing in the United States, you don't have to travel back to Brazil to obtain a replacement. Report your loss and apply for a replacement passport at a U.S. Brazilian Consulate office within your jurisdiction. It takes up to 15 business days to receive a replacement passport after the consulate receives your application and all required accompanying documentation. Passports submitted by mail are activated before the consulate mails them to the applicant.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Report your stolen passport to the local police and obtain a copy of the police report. You must provide a copy of the report to the Brazilian Consulate with your application to obtain replacement passport.

  2. 2

    Locate a Brazilian Consulate office within your jurisdiction in the U.S. There are consulate offices in many U.S. major cities, such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Boston, Hartford, Houston, Miami, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

  3. 3

    Request an appointment to meet with a consular agent to apply for a replacement passport. Bring the police report, two to three recent 2 inch-by-2 inch passport-style photographs taken within the past six months and proof of Brazilian citizenship, in the form of a Brazilian birth or marriage certificate, identification card, military document or any other approved forms of proof the consulate accepts.

  4. 4

    Sign any required declaration that explains how your passport was lost or stolen, and sign the form in the presence of a consular agent. If you are unable to visit the consular office in person, request a mailed or faxed copy of the declaration and sign the form in the presence of a notary public.

  5. 5

    Pay the required fee to replace a lost, damaged or stolen passport ($160 USD, as of September 2010). Pay with a check, money order, credit or debit card. If you are unable to visit the consulate office for your jurisdiction, mail in your application, supporting documents and payment to the consulate in your jurisdiction. Send the package via the United States Postal Service in an express mail envelope. Enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope if you want your passport returned by mail.

Tips and warnings

  • Packages sent by a courier service other than the United States Postal Service are not accepted.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.