One of the most expensive parts of maintaining your dog's health is treating parasites. Parasites, most notably heartworms, are rampant, and monthly preventive treatment is necessary. Oral medications from the vet to treat these parasites can be quite costly. The readily available ivermectin that is made for horses and cattle is a relatively inexpensive option for treatment, but it's quite bitter and few dogs will take it by mouth without spitting it out and creating a mess. By mixing ivermectin with the sweet-tasting propylene glycol, you can treat your dog's parasites orally in a cost-effective manner.
Insert the empty syringe with a new needle into the ivermectin and draw out slightly more medication than you need. Slowly push out the extra ivermectin into an appropriate waste receptacle. Check with authorities where you live to find regulations governing disposal.
Pour propylene glycol into a small bowl or dish. Pour in more than you will need. This prevents contamination of your bottle of propylene glycol.
Squeeze the bulb of the medicine dropper and draw up the desired amount of propylene glycol. Pour the excess liquid down the sink.
Place the syringe needle in the open (non-bulb) end of the medicine dropper and inject the ivermectin into the propylene glycol. Shake gently to mix.
Always use the same medicine dropper for giving your dog its ivermectin mixed with propylene glycol. Different medicine droppers offer different sized drops, and consistency is key.
Ivermectin in too high of a dosing will poison a dog and can cause lasting injury. Always confirm the appropriate amount of ivermectin for your dog's breed, size and condition with your veterinarian or other veterinary medical expert. Some dog breeds are susceptible to nervous system damage from ivermectin, most notably collies and other sheepdogs, and should never be given the medication. Do not squirt your excess ivermectin into the sink. It's dangerous to humans and animals in the water supply.