A common malady for modern Vespa scooter owners tends to be getting the carrying case key locked inside the carrying case--or worse, losing it entirely. Given that the lock provides a watertight seal, drilling can result in further damage. Attempt this method before alternative approaches.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- A phone
- A pin punch
- A tap hammer
First, look for the second key provided with every top case from the manufacturer. Call the dealer or private party if the second key was not provided with the scooter. Proceed to step two if the second key is not available.
Locate the hinge pin on the lock. Determine the size of the pin and obtain a pin punch for the same size. Use a tap hammer with the punch to push the hinge pin out of the case hinge. Open the case lid once the hinge is disconnected. Removed the trapped key if inside.
Reinsert the hinge pin into the hinge with the case closed again. Tap the pin in to place, making sure it if firmly located in its original position. Confirm that the case lid realigns properly. Continue to check alignment regularly from week to week.
Confirm no other key exists or can be located for your top case. Call a licensed Vespa parts dealer and purchase a new replacement lock.
Drill out your old case lock with a power drill. Avoid touching the case itself. Remove the old lock mechanism once completely drilled through.
Replace the old mechanism with the new case lock obtained from the Vespa parts dealer. Put one key in a safe place where it won't get lost. Attach the second key to your driving key set. Use the new top case as needed when riding.
Tips and warnings
- Dealers provide blanks which can be used to create new replacement keys for your top case. It's a smart idea to make multiple copies to avoid losing the ability get in to your top case.
- Don't pry the lock or the case loose to access a key inside. The case will crack and break under enough strain, or the plastic will warp permanently.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for