Silica gel is a drying agent, often used for drying flowers. Silica gel packets are also often found in shoe boxes and other packages where moisture needs to be kept away from the product. Silica gel works to keep or take moisture away by drawing the moisture out of or away from the item. As silica gel absorbs moisture, it goes from being in an active state to an inactive state. But it can be reactivated and used again, rather than being thrown away.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan
- Plastic sealable bag
Pour inactive silica gel into an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan. Spread the silica gel around in a thin layer.
Heat the oven to a temperature between 79.4 degrees C and 93.3 degrees Celsius. Place the pan of silica gel in the oven and allow it to bake for 15 minutes. The heat in the oven draws the moisture out of the silica gel, reactivating the drying agent.
Remove the pan of silica gel from the oven and allow it to cool completely. Store the reactivated silica gel in a plastic zip bag to keep it away from moisture until ready to use.
Tips and warnings
- Reactivate silica gel as often as needed.
- Supervise children and pets around silica gel as it's not safe for playing or consumption.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for