Irritated facial skin can be embarrassing and uncomfortable. Skin irritations on the face appear in the form of breakouts, redness, dryness and itching. Whether the irritation is due to exposure to the elements, an allergic reaction or other factors, you can relieve the discomfort and feel better. Though there are many commercial products available to soothe facial skin irritations, home remedies are also effective and can be tailored to the needs of your skin.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 25 ml (1/8 cup) cooked oatmeal
- Wash cloth
- Baking soda
- Olive oil
- Aloe vera gel
Massage 25 ml (1/8 cup) of cooked oatmeal into the skin of the face. Oatmeal has skin soothing properties that relieve dryness and itching. Wash the entire face and neck with the oatmeal, then rinse with warm water.
Wet a wash cloth with warm water and wring it out. Sprinkle baking soda on the wash cloth and blot the irritated facial skin with the baking soda. Continue to blot for 10 minutes so the baking soda can relieve red, itchy, irritated skin.
Splash warm water on the face to rinse off the baking soda and pat the skin dry.
Rub olive oil into areas of the face that are irritated from dryness. Aloe vera gel can also be used to soothe areas that are irritated due to insect bites or sunburn. Allow the oil or gel to soak into the skin.
Tips and warnings
- Avoid excessive cleansing until the irritation is gone. Wash the face no more than twice a day.
- See your GP for a referral to a dermatologist if facial skin irritations worsen or do not respond to home remedies.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for