The ferrule of a beach umbrella is the cap that encloses the end of the umbrella shaft above the canopy. Ferrules protect the end of the shaft from damage and exposure to the elements. Generally ferrules are plastic or metal. They are usually threaded inside and screw directly onto the beach umbrella shaft. Some beach umbrella designs have a screw that screws down through the top of the ferrule and into the umbrella shaft. Because the ferrule is a protective device it may need to be replaced at times. In addition, it must be removed if you ever want to replace the canopy of the beach umbrella.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Silicon spray lubricant
Close the beach umbrella and lay it on the ground. Inspect the end that juts out at the top past the canopy of the umbrella. Determine how the ferrule is attached.
Encircle the closed umbrella canopy and shaft with one arm near the top end and lift it off the ground. Place the other hand on the ferrule in the other.
Twist the ferrule counterclockwise if the ferrule is threaded and screws onto the shaft itself. If the ferrule is too tight to loosen with one hand, use pliers to help you get it off.
Use a screwdriver if the ferrule attaches with a screw through the top of the ferrule into the shaft of the beach umbrella. Turn the screw counterclockwise until you can remove the ferrule.
Spray a small amount of silicon spray lubricant around the edges of a threaded ferrule if it is difficult to remove. If the ferrule attaches with a screw, spray the silicon lubricant around the top of the screw. Try unscrewing the ferrule after a minute or so.
Tips and warnings
- Each beach umbrella is a little different so consult the manufacturer's instructions for your specific umbrella for special directions.
- You can order replacement ferrules from the company that made your beach umbrella.
- Many models of beach umbrellas employ the ferrule to keep the canopy and canopy framework from sliding off the top of the umbrella shaft. In this case do not use the umbrella without a ferrule.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for