Claiming Tax Relief on Rent

Written by christopher cross
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Claiming Tax Relief on Rent
Tax relief on rent can come in the form of a tax credit from your state. (tax forms image by Chad McDermott from

As part of their property tax relief program, some states also offer rent relief. This may be known as a rent rebate, a rent refund or a homestead tax credit. Rent relief programs will give you a tax credit on a portion of the rent that you paid to your landlord for the year. These programs are often income-based, meaning you have to meet certain income requirements in order to get a credit and the amount of your credit will be dependent on your income.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Check with your state's treasury, revenue or tax department to see if they offer a tax credit for renters. You can do this by calling your state's treasury, revenue or tax department directly or by looking the information up on their website.

  2. 2

    Determine the eligibility criterion for your state's rent refund credit and determine if you qualify. There are often income qualifications to be met and you may also have to meet other requirements, such as having an eligible dependent, being over 65 or being disabled.

  3. 3

    File your state income taxes by April 15, including the forms needed to claim your rent refund credit. If you are using a tax preparer or a tax preperation program, then they should already have the form that you need; otherwise, they may be downloadable from your state's treasury, revenue or tax department website.

  4. 4

    Wait to receive your rent refund. Unless you provided your direct deposit information on the tax form you filed to receive the credit, you will receive a state check through the mail.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.