People who live in rural areas sometimes have problems with deer overpopulation on their properties. Deer eat and trample plants, and can be a general nuisance. It's best to trap a deer and remove it from the property, rather than killing or harming it. However; deer don't just walk into a cage, and a snare will most likely harm its legs. The preferred way of trapping a deer is to use a net.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 4-foot by 8-foot net, dark coloured or camouflaged.
Find a path that the deer have been using by looking for trampled down grass and weeds. Look to where the path goes into a wooded area, and find a place about 3 to 4-feet wide on the path between trees.
Use rope to tie the net in the trees about 6-feet high, and let the two remaining feet lay on the ground. The net should cross the path so that the 4-foot length is horizontal. Don't tie the net too tight; you want it to come off the branches and fall on the deer.
Cut 2 lengths of rope 5-feet long each. Tie one length to one of the corners on the ground; tie the other end of the around the base of a near by tree. Repeat with the other corner. Tie the rope tightly to the net and the tree.
Throw leaves on the part of the net and rope resting on the ground for camouflage.
Check the trap 2 to 3 times a day to avoid keeping the deer in the trap for too long.
Tips and warnings
- Use a strong line to tie the net. The deer will try to escape and a weak rope will break, letting the deer go. Nylon rope works well.
- In many places, trapping deer is illegal no matter the reason. Contact animal control to inquire as to the legality of trapping deer in your town and they can help you to get rid of the deer if you are unable to trap them.
- Be very cautious around the deer once it has been trapped. According to Wildlife Control, a deer should be sedated and bound to avoid being kicked and mauled.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for