The term washstand brings to mind a Victorian lady's room, with a basin and pitcher atop a dainty table. However, washstands come in a variety of designs, from simple open stands to heavy ornate cabinets. Whichever you prefer, any of these can be transformed into a sink stand for a modern bathroom. With a vast variety of vessel sinks and faucets to choose from, your imagination can run wild.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Vessel sink
- Faucet set
- Painter's tape
- Measuring tape
Choose a washstand to convert into a sink cabinet. The stand should be 32 to 36 inches high for comfort and sturdy enough to withstand the weight of the sink and hardware.
Seal any wood on the washstand with a waterproof varnish to minimise damage in the damp environment of a bathroom. Follow manufacturer's directions and allow the sealer to dry completely.
Tape the template that comes with the sink and faucet in place on the top of the washstand. Use painter's tape, because it will not mar the new finish. Adjust the templates so the faucets will wrap easily over the top edge of the vessel sink. Faucets should be high enough above the sink to easily wash hands or fill a glass.
Transfer the markings from the templates to the washstand with a pencil. Cut out marked holes with a jigsaw. Dry-fit the sink and hardware to verify the cuts are the correct size. Measure pipes and fixtures. Cut holes in the back of the washstand to accommodate them.
Set the washstand in place. Attach the sink and faucets according to the manufacturers' instructions. Apply caulk around the base of the sink to prevent water damage. Assemble the plumbing and water lines.
Tips and warnings
- Cabinets with centre drawers can be used if the drawer is converted to a false front to accommodate pipes.
- Wall-mounted faucets are a good option when converting a smaller wash stand.
- If you are unsure about plumbing after assembly, contact a professional plumber for assistance.
- When sealing wood stands, work only in a well-ventilated area.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for