Enjoy the benefits of increased comfort and reduced energy bills by wiring a Lux 500 programmable thermostat to your heating and cooling equipment. A programmable thermostat provides a clean and efficient solution for reducing your home's energy consumption.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wire stripper
Shut off the electrical power to your heating and cooling equipment at your fuse or circuit breaker panel.
Connect each wire to the corresponding screw terminal on the Lux 500 thermostat. Refer to your equipment's installation instructions if your wires are not labelled. For typical forced air furnace and air conditioner, the red wire will connect to the "R" thermostat terminal. The white wire connects to the thermostat "W" terminal. The green wire connects to the "G" terminal, and the blue wire connects to the "Y" terminal.
Locate the jumper switch JP1 on the Lux 500 thermostat and determine the correct setting for your heating and cooling equipment. The switch is set for gas/oil heat from the manufacturer. Move the switch accordingly if you have electric heat.
Locate the DIP switch on the Lux 500 thermostat. Set switch 1 on for a 24-hour clock or off for a 12-hour clock. Set switch 2 on for Celsius or off for Fahrenheit. Set switch 3 on to measure air filter replacement schedule to days and off for percentage.
Snap the Lux 500 thermostat onto the wall plate. Do not force the thermostat. The thermostat and wall plate should snap easily together.
Turn the electricity back on to your heating and air-conditioning equipment and program the Lux 500 thermostat as desired per the thermostat instructions.
Tips and warnings
- Label each thermostat wire based on your HVAC equipment manufacturer installation instructions. Check the insulation of each thermostat wire for cracks or breaks. Bare wires can short out and damage your heating and cooling equipment.
- An improperly wired thermostat can damage your heating and air-conditioning system. Refer to your equipment manufacturer instructions for proper wiring requirements.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for