Bentonite (also known as montmorillonite) is a grey odourless clay that can be taken internally for cleansing and detoxifying purposes. Once in the digestive tract, the bentonite acts as a sponge, absorbing toxins, pesticides, viruses and heavy metals from the body. In a 2001 study published in the "Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition," the Italian Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology Study Group found taking bentonite helped children recover faster from acute diarrhoea. Bentonite clay can be purchased at most health food stores, often in the form of a thick tasteless gel, as a dry powder or as a capsule.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 236ml. water
- Psyllium hulls
Mix 1 tbsp of bentonite powder or paste with 236ml. of water or juice. If taking bentonite in the form of a capsule, follow the product label for instructions.
Add 1 heaping tsp of psyllium hulls to the bentonite and water. Psyllium husks are a bulk laxative and will help to prevent the bentonite clay sticking to the intestinal wall, as well as aid the elimination of toxins from the body.
Take bentonite either on an empty stomach or 1 hour away from meals, as it may reduce the absorption of nutrients in food. Do not take alongside supplements, herbal products or medications, as bentonite may affect the absorption of these as well.
Follow each bentonite mixture with another 236ml. glass of juice or water. Increasing the intake of fluids while using the bentonite clay will keep the body hydrated, prevent constipation and optimise the elimination of toxins from the system.
Continue using bentonite clay once daily for three weeks, to gain a thorough internal cleansing of the digestive tract. During this period, look to enrich the diet with fruits and vegetables that are high in both fibre and water, such as kiwifruit, apples, pears, oranges, bananas and fresh leafy greens. These will support the digestive system and increase detoxification and cleansing.
Tips and warnings
- For a detoxifying bath add 1 tsp of bentonite to the bathtub and soak for 20 minutes
- Consult with a physician if taking medication, as bentonite may affect the absorption of medications in the digestive tract.
- Bentonite contains trace amounts of aluminium and titanium. People with allergies or sensitivities to these minerals are recommended to avoid bentonite products.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- "Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics"; Symptomatic efficacy of beidellitic montmorillonite in irritable bowel syndrome; Ducrotte P, Dapoigny M, Bonaz B, Siproudhis L; Feb 2005
- "Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology an d Nutrition"; Smectite in the treatment of acute diarrhoea; Guarino A, Bisceglia M, Castellucci G, Iacono G, Casali LG, Bruzzese E, Musetta A, Greco L; January 2001
- "Canadian Journal of Microbiology"; A Flocculation test for Salmonella antibodies using sensitised Bentonite particles; B. B. Diena, R. Wallace, and L. Greenberg; 1963