Painting your own car rims does not have to be expensive or intimidating. Although painting rims does involve some elbow grease, it can be accomplished by the average person in about a day. By painting your own rims can, you achieve the flat black look you desire without spending a large amount of money.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Spray-on or paint-on metal primer
- Spray-on or paint-on metal paint in flat black
- Sandpaper, 320 and 110 grits
- 2-inch flat brush
- Tack cloth
- Masking tape
- Dust mask
Sand the rims with 320-grit sandpaper to remove the glossy finish. This will let the paint adhere to the rim without flaking. Sand again with a finer 120-grit sandpaper to remove any small surface scratches. Wipe clean with a tack cloth to remove all dust.
Mask off the areas of the rims you do not want painted with painters masking tape. Arrange newspapers underneath the rim to catch any paint over-spray. Paint or spray a thin layer of metal primer according to the primer directions. Allow to dry completely.
Use a spray-on or brush-on paint in flat black. To ensure a smooth, finished look, apply two to three thin layers of paint. Let the paint dry completely between coats.
Spray the painted rims with two to three coats of high-quality matt finish spray, or brush on two to three coats of matt finish. Let the finish dry completely before adding another coat. This will help to protect the rims from being damaged, and it will not give a glossy finish so that the black paint will still appear "flat." Let the rims cure for at least 48 hours before putting them back on your car.
Tips and warnings
- Spray-on finish products are easier to apply than brush-on finishes. When using brush-on paint, use a flat brush and make even strokes so that you don't leave brush marks.
- Always paint in a well-ventilated area. Wear a dust mask when applying paints, primers, finishes and when sanding.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for