Lipitor is a prescription medication used to lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risks of heart attack, stroke and high blood pressure. Lipitor works by reducing the cholesterol and other fatty substances in your bloodstream that could cause blockages and lead to other health problems. Lipitor is used in conjunction with a low-fat diet to optimise results of the medication. While the main goal of Lipitor is not weight loss, it is a common, positive side effect of the new lifestyle choices patients are encouraged to live by when prescribed the medication.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Eat a healthy diet. Avoid foods high in cholesterol or fat like butter and eggs to avoid making the medicine less effective. To lose weight, also eat foods that are lower in calories and higher in nutrients. Increase your intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans. These foods are low in cholesterol, high in nutrients and will help you drop excess, fatty weight with more ease.
Implement an exercise routine. Start with something simple and easy like walking or climbing stairs so you don't strain your heart and cause complications in conjunction with your high cholesterol. As your cholesterol lowers and you become more physically fit, increase the intensity of your exercise activity to things like jogging or swimming laps. Set goals for the number of calories you want to burn per day and make sure the amount you burn is less than the amount you take in.
Continue taking Lipitor. Lipitor can only work to keep your cholesterol low for as long as you take it and stick with the program. There is a 12-week guide for managing cholesterol for Lipitor users to help you stick to your plans.
Tips and warnings
- A pound of body fat equals about 3,500 calories. Try to cut down your unhealthy calorie intake so you lose one or two pounds per week.
- Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice when taking Lipitor. Although it is a healthy food, it may cause some serious reactions with the medicine. Consult your physician before beginning a new exercise program.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for