It is important to keep your United Kingdom passport details up to date. Ensuring your emergency contact details, written on the sleeve of your passport, are kept current is essential, but informing the passport office if you have a change of address is not essential. However, if you do want to register this change with the passport office there will be some paperwork and cost involved.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Identity documents
- Passport renewal form
Check your emergency contact address details written in the passport are up to date.
Contact the Passport Advice Line by calling 0300 222 0000 to find out if you need to register your new address with the passport office, as each case is different.
Get a renewal form from the Identity and Passport Service (IPS). You can do this online or you can pick up a form at your nearest post office or call the Passport Advice line and request a form by post.
Check the renewal cost and the time it will take to process your application by going to the Directgov website and selecting "Passports." There are three different types of processing for your passport. The cheapest is standard, followed by a one-week Fast Track Service, and the most expensive is a one-day Premium Service. Note that any additional time you have on your old passport will be added to your new one.
Tips and warnings
- There is one standard form for all passport applications,4 which comes with full instructions.
- If you are completing the renewal form online, the IPS will send you a copy of the completed form so you can sign it and return it with the supporting documents.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for