Gray hair is caused when melanin production ceases within the hair follicle. This problem originates when the body can no longer produce the enzymes required to produce melanin. Causes include poor diet, stress and lifestyle choices.
By reducing negative habits, making diet changes and using natural hair applications, it's possible to restore colour and reduce further greying to hair. These simple changes boost melanin production in the hair, or at least prevent it from decreasing further.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Copper supplement
- Folic acid supplement
- B Complex supplement
- Sunflower seeds
- Coconut oil
- Almond oil
- Vegetable oil
- Blackstrap molasses
- Brewers yeast
- Wheat germ
Make dietary changes to promote increased melanin production. Start taking copper, folic acid and B complex supplements on a daily basis. Consume sunflower seeds, almonds, crabs, oysters and cashews for increased copper levels. Iron and iodine requirements can be met by eating seafood, bananas and carrots.
Limit consumption of foods with high levels of artificial colours and preservatives, and foods high in carbohydrates such as pasta. These foods can cause hair brittleness and diminish the levels of antioxidants present within the body.
Limit tobacco and alcohol usage. According to All-Hairstyles.com, smokers' hair is prone to greying four times earlier than that of nonsmokers.
Create a natural hair application. Mix together blackstrap molasses, wheat germ and brewer's yeast. Also try using coconut oil with lemon or almond oil. Vegetable oil will work as well. Massage the natural hair application in the hair for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
Reduce the amount of stress in your life. Stress causes premature ageing, which will lead to grey hair earlier in life. Try exercise or relaxation methods such as meditation or reading.
Tips and warnings
- Diet is the most important factor to change for increased melanin production within the hair follicle.
- Apply natural applications at least once a day for best results.
- If diet and natural hair applications are not enough, then consider using a hair dye designed to eliminate greyness.
- Do not take mega-doses of supplements. Take only the recommended daily amount to avoid possible negative side effects.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for