Rattan is a family of palmlike plants used commonly for furniture production. The stem of the rattan plant is firm and uniform in shape, making it ideal to use as an implement for disciplinary pain. Rattan canes, also referred to as Singapore canes, are, as the name implies, commonly used in Singapore for judicial punishment. A rattan cane similar to those used in Singapore can be made from home with a few simple tools and 10 minutes of spare time.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 4=foot length of 1/2 inch rattan cane
- Instant bonding glue
- 8-inch length of 1/2 inch wide leather
- Wood sealant
- Paint brush
Paint a coating of wood sealant on to the rattan cane with the paint brush. Make sure that the coating of sealant is even; if it is thick in one area and thin in another the thick area will chip and crack. This is to lengthen the lifetime of your cane. Allow sealant to dry for 5 hours.
Choose which end of the rattan cane you would like to use as the handle. Depending on the manufacturing method used, one end might be thicker or heavier than the other. This is strictly preference.
Lay the strip of leather on a working table with the shiny side down, exposing the rougher side of the leather. The shiny side is the part that will be exposed as the handle of your rattan cane.
Apply instant bonding glue to a small area on one end of the leather strip. Quickly glue the leather strip to the very edge of the end of your cane which you chose to be your handle. Press and hold the area for 30 seconds to ensure a firm bond.
Wrap the leather in a tight spiral pattern down the rattan cane; this will create the leather handle of the cane. Every 1/2 inch down, apply a small drop of instant bonding glue to the leather and press it onto the cane. This ensures that the leather stays put. Continue this process all of the way down the handle until you run out of leather strip. Glue the end of the leather strip to the cane.
Your rattan cane is now complete and ready for use.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Encyclopedia: Rattan
- "Caning: Educational Rite and Tradition"; Joseph A. Mercurio; 1972
- "School Punishments: School Corporal Punishment, Caning, School Punishment, Expulsion, Rustication, Suspension, Karzer, Paddle, Dunce Cap"; Books LLC; 2010
- "Law of Singapore: Administrative law, Equity (law), Contract, Trust law, Tort, Criminal law of Singapore, Corporate law, Constitution of Singapore, Caning ... Singapore, Capital punishment in Singapore"; Frederic P. Miller, Agnes F. Vandome, John McBrewster; 2009