Computer software is typically sent over networks in a condensed or a compressed form so as to reduce the amount of network congestion and time it takes for the file transfer to complete. One of these condensation methods is through an International Organization for Standardization (ISO) disk image file. A Rosetta Stone language educational file with an .iso file extension means the file cannot be run on a computer directly, but rather from a CD or a DVD. An ISO file must be expanded onto a writable CD or DVD using software and then run from that disc.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- CD Writing/burning software installed on computer (Nero Burning ROM, Roxio CD Creator, CD XP Burner Pro, or other which has ISO file extracting abilities)
- Blank writable CD or DVD (CD+W, CDW, DVD+W, DVD-W)
Select and install any one of dozens of CD/DVD writing software available, either a freeware or a commercially available package. For example purposes in this article, instructions will be provided using the two most well-known packages: Roxio Easy Media Creator and Nero Burning Rom.
Insert a new, blank CD or DVD into the CD or DVD drive of the computer. This drive must be capable of writing data to a blank disc (known as a CD/DVD writer or burner). Once loaded, start the writing software.
Expand the ISO file using Roxio Easy Media Creator by clicking "File" in the upper, right-hand corner of the screen. In the drop-down dialogue box that appears, hover the mouse pointer over the selection "Burn from Disc Image" or "Record Disc from Image," whichever appears with your version of the software. When the new screen appears, browse to the location of your Rosetta Stone ISO file on the computer hard drive, highlight it and then at the bottom of the screen, select "Burn Now." Once clicked, Roxio Easy Media Creator will expand the ISO file to the blank disc in the drive. Once finished, close the burning software, remove the newly created disk and then reinsert it into the drive tray to use the Rosetta Stone language instruction software.
Expand the ISO image to a blank CD or DVD using Nero Burning Rom first by placing a blank CD or DVD into the computers writer tray, then start the Nero burning software. On the first screen that appears, choose "Recorder / Burn Image," and wait for the file browser to load. Once the browser file has loaded, navigate to the location of the Rosetta Stone ISO file on the computer hard drive, click once on it to highlight, then put a check mark in the box next to "Finalize CD" so the project is made permanent. Proceed to instruct the program to expand the image to disc by clicking "Burn" and wait for the software to indicate that the process is complete. Close Nero, then remove and reinsert the newly created drive to use the Rosetta Stone software.
Tips and warnings
- It is a federal offence to use software packages in any form, including disc image ISO files, unless the product was purchased by the individual using it. Heavy fines and imprisonment can result from prosecution for stolen software under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), so be certain you are using software you have a purchased license to use if following the steps in this article.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for