Quiche is essentially a custard baked in a pie crust. A basic quiche recipe calls for eggs, cream and cheese, although a variety of fillings can also be added. The more traditional recipes call for rich double cream, but a reduced fat milk -- such as skimmed milk -- can be used in place of the cream with no flavour or consistency problems.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- 22 cm pie crust (prepared or homemade)
- 1/2 cup cheese (optional)
- Filling ingredients (optional)
- Fresh or dried herbs (optional)
Preheat oven to 180C or 160C for a fan-assisted oven.
Whisk the eggs and milk in a bowl until combined.
Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the egg mixture in the pie crust, and sprinkle cheese (if desired) over the top of the quiche.
Bake the quiche for 35 to 40 minutes. Let the quiche cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Tips and warnings
- Any number of fillings can be used in this quiche: cooked meats such as chicken, ham, bacon or sausage; seafood such as prawb, crab or lobster; and chopped vegetables such as onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes or spinach. Aim for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 cups of filling ingredients for this recipe.
- A variety of cheeses can be added as well, including cheddar, swiss or feta.
- Fresh or dried herbs will add additional flavour to this quiche. Try rosemary, thyme or basil if you want to add depth to the taste of the dish.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for