The only thing worse than a bunch of leaves in your yard is the leaves and debris that build up in the gutters. Cleaning the gutters on a house can be arduous because it requires moving a ladder countless times just to do one side. Designing and implementing a gutter vacuum attachment on your leaf vacuum is relatively easy. The tools and materials needed for this job can be bought at a hardware or building supply store, and can be assembled within an hour.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- 2-feet of flex vacuum hose or PVC tubing
- 1-foot PVC pipe extension
- PVC to flex hose coupling or reducer (optional)
- 2 large hose clamps
- Small tube silicon caulk
Measure the diameter of the leaf vacuum's inlet tube. This will let you know what size PVC pipe extension to get.
Put the PVC pipe and the 2- foot flex tube together, using a coupler/reducer if necessary. Your flex tubing should be no larger than 1 1/2-inches in diameter or the average diameter of a household vacuum hose. Secure the two pieces together with a large hose clamp to ensure proper vacuum.
Attach the entire assembly to the inlet tube on your leaf vacuum. Use a large hose clamp to secure the PVC extension to the leaf vacuum for proper suction.
Start the leaf vacuum and check for proper suction. Caulk any gaps in the assembly with silicon caulk. Do not caulk the assembly to the leaf vacuum inlet hose directly, unless you want this to be a permanent fixture.
Tips and warnings
- If your leaf vacuum has a flattened end on the inlet hose, you may need to cut it off. This oblong shape may cause the gutter cleaning assembly not to mount and/or seal properly. This assembly requires a completely circular section for proper mounting.
- When cleaning gutters, it is always a good idea to have someone "spotting" you on your ladder. A spotter is someone who will hold the ladder firmly in place so that you can manoeuvre better when you are up on the ladder. Failure to have a spotter may result in the ladder tipping, which can cause severe injury and even death.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for