You can use hi-tech gadgets -- including signal repeaters, boosters and femtocells -- to boost your mobile signal at home: All these products are designed to improve your mobile phone reception in different ways. Femtocells essentially use your existing wired broadband connection to help voice calls and data services travel to and from your carrier's network. Instead of relying on the carrier's phone masts, femtocells direct calls and data through the Internet. Meanwhile, signals repeaters and boosters improve reception by amplifying and rebroadcasting signals from mobile phone masts.
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Femtocell system
- Broadband DSL connection for femtocell
- Signal repeater/booster's donor antenna
- Signal repeater/booster's bidirectional amplifier
- Signal repeater/booster's coverage antenna
- Signal repeater/booster's coaxial cable
- Power supply for signal repeater/booster
Connect the femtocell box to your broadband DSL line and power by following the product's instructions. The box needs to be located near a window if it is equipped with GPS.
Configure the femtocell on your computer with the system's menu options if it includes Wi-Fi or PC connections. The product's user manual will have simple instructions to walk you through this process.
Ensure connections are enabled for wired and Wi-Fi signals. The lights on the femtocell box will indicate which connections are enabled.
Register with the femtocell operator's network, if the system requires it.
Install the signal repeater's donor antenna in a location where the signal is strongest by bolting it securely on its mount. An ideal location is usually outdoors or near a window. If you are mounting the antenna outdoors, make sure the foundation beneath the mount is secure and that it is high enough that the signal won't be interfered with by trees or other obstructions.
Place the bidirectional amplifier (BDA) in a location where it can gain access to the standard power supply and connect it to the donor antenna with the coaxial cable.
Install the coverage antenna in a location inside the home where it is easily accessible in case you need to move it later. Connect it to the BDA's output port with the coaxial cable.
Turn on the system and check for a signal inside the building. If the signal is weak, adjust the donor and coverage antennas until you get the desired reception.
Signal repeaters and boosters
Tips and warnings
- The installation process for femtocell systems and signal repeater/booster systems may vary depending on make and model.
- If you're not confident about installing a signal repeater/booster system yourself, consider asking your network technician to help you put the system in.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for