DISCOVER
×

How to treat dogs who are sick because of frogs

Updated November 21, 2016

When a dog sees a frog hopping around outside, it naturally wants to investigate. Pet owners should never let a dog play with a frog. They are extremely dangerous because of the venom they secrete. If you see your dog biting or licking a frog, get immediate treatment against possible poisoning.

Fill a bowl with water.

Get someone to help you hold your dog.

Point your dog's head down and open its mouth.

Keeping the head pointed down, bring the dog's mouth down to the bowl of water so water can get inside. Do not let the dog swallow any water.

Splash water into your dog's mouth a few times and let it fall back out. Rub the dog's gums and tongue with your fingers.

Flush the dog's mouth until it doesn't feel slimy inside.

Keep an eye on your dog for the next few hours. Look for signs of toad poisoning. These include head shaking, vomiting and diarrhoea.

Tip

Take your dog to the veterinarian immediately if you see any signs of toad poisoning.

Things You'll Need

  • Bowl
  • Water
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Megan Richardson began her career as a freelance writer and editor in 2009. She has experience in public relations and event planning, and she worked as a writer's assistant to a published author for more than a year. Her work has also appeared in "The Daily Sentinel." Richardson holds a Bachelor of Arts in communication and journalism from Stephen F. Austin State University