Few things improve a computer's performance as effectively as extra memory. Having extra memory--also known as RAM--in a system essentially increases the amount of space it has to work with, which makes it run faster. Memory prices are always going down, so it's easy to significantly improve your computer's performance for little to no cost. Upgrading the memory on the Toshiba Tecra M3-S331 laptop requires a bit more handiwork than with other laptop models, but with a few tools and minimal investment, your laptop will run twice as fast in no time.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver
- Memory stick
Turn off the laptop and remove the battery.
Flip over the laptop so that the underside is facing you. Remove the retaining screw for the keyboard--it is located near the middle of the battery bay.
Flip the laptop over again. Carefully work the flathead screwdriver into the rim of the keyboard brace near the display hinges and remove it. The brace is fragile, so be careful during removal.
Remove the two screws securing the keyboard and lift it up to access the motherboard. Flip the keyboard over the touchpad to keep it out of your way when working.
Pull the clips away from the memory module you are replacing and remove the module from the laptop.
Place the new memory module into the empty memory bay at a slight angle. Press the memory stick downward toward the guide rails to snap it into place.
Reattach the keyboard and keyboard rim with the appropriate screws, plug in the battery and turn on the computer. If the memory was installed properly, the computer should boot normally.
Tips and warnings
- When installing the memory, a click or pop will let you know when the stick is properly inserted. Don't apply excessive pressure, because the memory stick could break if improperly placed.
- Because the keyboard is exposed during the upgrade process, there is a much higher risk of causing permanent damage, so make sure to keep your hands clean of dirt or grease and remove any stray static electricity by touching a grounded piece of metal.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for