Melamine plates are a practical dinnerware option that is especially well suited to families with small children. You can design your own melamine plates to complement your kitchen or dining room decor, or for holidays or other special occasions. Let the kids design plates for their own personal use or to give as gifts to grandparents. You can create custom dinnerware for everyday use or keepsakes that will be treasured for years to come. Plan well in advance to allow ample time for plate completion and shipping when designing plates to give as gifts or for use on special occasions.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Plate kit
- Scrap paper (optional)
Wash your hands with soap and water, and dry thoroughly.
Read the instructions that come with the plate kit. Use only the markers and paper templates recommended by the manufacturer for each design that will be placed on a plate.
Practice your design on scrap paper, if desired. Experiment with colour combinations and perfect your drawing techniques before marking on the actual plate template paper.
Draw and colour your finalised design on a plate template from your kit. Use black sparingly for best results and leave a 1/2-inch border around the edge of the template if required by the manufacturer. Also, avoid extraneous marks, erasures or creases, as these will all show in the finished plate.
Mail your finished designs to the kit manufacturer as directed in the kit instructions. Be sure to include the required processing and return shipping fees for each plate.
Tips and warnings
- Buy a teacher's kit for large groups or to have extra drawing templates available in case a mistake is made.
- Although decorated melamine plates are usually dishwasher safe, wash them by hand to better preserve the design.
- Never use decorated melamine plates in the microwave as the design may bubble and peel.
- To avoid scratches, never use a sharp knife to cut on melamine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for