Though the digital video recorder (DVR) is widely known for its ability to record live television, TiVo can do much more. Downloading TiVo Desktop to your computer extends the TiVo's functionality, allowing the TiVo box to upload movies, home videos, photos and more. TiVo Desktop is free, but it supports only .tivo and MPEG-2 files. For extended compatibility, users need to purchase TiVo Desktop Plus. Mac users need TiVo Desktop and Roxio Toast for file uploading. Uploading files on your TiVo allows you to enjoy content from the comfort of your couch rather than from behind a computer screen.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Locate the files you want to upload to your TiVo. Copy the files to the "My TiVo Recordings" folder in your PC's My Documents folder.
Run TiVo Desktop. Find the copied files on TiVo Desktop's "Now Playing List" to make sure the files have been moved to TiVo Desktop without incident.
Power on your TiVo. From the "Now Playing" or "My Shows" tab, locate and select the PC icon.
Select the titles you wish to upload. Start the uploading process by selecting "Transfer this recording."
Run TiVo Desktop Plus. Click the "Share Music, Photos & Videos" icon.
Select the Video tab and go to the "Add Video" window.
Browse your folders for the content you wish to upload. Add content using the "Add" button.
Set auto-transfer and storing options. Select "OK" when you're finished.
Power On your TiVo box. Files set to auto-transfer will be sent to the "Now Playing" or "My Shows" list. Content that was not set to automatically transfer will need to be selected from the computer tab of the "Now Playing" or "My Shows" list.
Click the Mac2TiVo program from the Roxio Toast folder. Select the "Add" button on the bottom-left of the window and click "Open" on any folders that contain programming you are uploading to your TiVo. You can also drag/drop content from a Finder window onto Mac2TiVo to perform this step.
Select "Start Server."
Power on your TiVo box. Go to the "Now Playing" or "My Shows" tab from TiVo Central.
Scroll to the computer icon and select it to view files previously added to Mac2TiVo.
Transfer files by selecting "Transfer this recording."
Tips and warnings
- You can watch uploaded programming instantly or can upload several files before watching them. Depending on which TiVo model you own, the uploaded files will be sent to the Now Playing or My Shows list.
- If you're using TiVo Desktop Plus, be sure you have the latest software version. You can check if there is a software update from the TiVo Desktop taskbar.
- TiVo Desktop Plus supports .wmv, .mov, .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, MPEG-2, DivX and .tivo files
- TiVo Desktop also allows users to watch recorded programming from their TiVo on their computer. TiVo Desktop allows uploading from the TiVo to portable devices like smartphones and MP3 players.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for