Guinea pigs are high-energy, active creatures and should be housed in a cage that provides plenty of space for them to run and play. Many widely available guinea pig cages are far too small to allow for adequate exercise. Making your own guinea pig cage at home can be a more suitable alternative to buying a small, expensive cage from a store.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 12 14-inch wire storage cube grid panels
- 24 storage cube connectors
- Corrugated plastic sheeting
- Utility knife
- Duct or packing tape
- Measuring tape
Connect the storage cube grid panels to form the outside perimeter of the guinea pig cage by snapping the connector pieces to the top and bottom corners of the cage panels. Two panels wide and four panels long is a good sized cage for two adult guinea pigs.
Measure the inside dimensions of the cage bottom, making sure to allow for the space that the connectors take up. For a two panel by four panel cage made from standard 14 inch square panels, your inner dimensions should be 56 inches by 27 inches, but it is always best to double check, as not all manufacturers create their grid panels exactly the same.
Add 12 inches to both the width and length to allow for the cage's inner sidewalls.
Cut the corrugated plastic sheeting to the measured size using the utility knife.
Score a line 6 inches in from the edge of the corrugated plastic, all the way around the sheet. This will be the seam along which the sides are folded up, so be sure not to cut all the way through.
Measure and mark a 6 inch square at each corner of the corrugated plastic.
Cut all the way through the corrugated plastic along one side of the 6 inch square to create a 6 inch flap at each corner.
Fold the sides of the corrugated plastic upward with the score marks on the outside of the box, and tape the flaps firmly in place with a few pieces of tape.
Place the corrugated plastic box inside the grid panel cage.
Fill the cage with a few inches of guinea pig bedding, and add decorations, food and water bowls, hiding places, and toys.
Tips and warnings
- The grid panels used to make the cages are plastic-coated wire panels sold as affordable storage options for the home. They can be found at department stores and large wholesale depots.
- Corrugated plastic is available at print shops or sign-making stores, and is similar to cardboard, but made from plastic.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for