Caution tape usually blocks off crime scenes, unsafe buildings and construction sites. However, novelty stores have taken this concept and made it into something entertaining. These stores sell caution tape warning people about zombie attacks, haunted zones, men cooking, wild teenage girls and more. Some online retailers allow you to add personal messages to caution tape for birthdays and other celebrations. However, you can make personalised caution tape at home with a few supplies and a little ingenuity.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Blank barrier tape (any colour)
- Acrylic paint
- Masking tape
- Paper plates
Unroll several feet of blank barrier tape on a flat, clean surface. Barrier tape is available at hardware and home improvement stores. It comes in neon colours such as orange, yellow, blue, green or even hot pink.
Choose a short message and place easy-to-read stencil letters on the tape. Weigh the tape down with paperweights spaced far enough apart to fit the stencils between them. You may also pick a simple symbol to separate the messages. Something like "Caution: Zombie Zone" bookended by creepy eyeballs or spiders would work well.
Place your stencils between the paperweights, making sure they are straight. Tape them down at the top and bottom edges so they don't move. The lettering should be centred on the tape.
Squeeze acrylic paint out onto a paper plate and dip a sponge into it. Blot the sponge on a clean part of the plate, then tap the sponge lightly against the stencil letters. Keep tapping until the letters are solid and dark.
Let the paint dry for about 10 minutes and lift the stencils and paperweights. Slide the painted tape so it hangs freely from the table's edge and paint the next section of tape. Continue until you have enough for your purposes, such as covering a door or blocking off a dance area.
Tips and warnings
- Making your own caution tape this way is only cost effective for a few dozen feet of tape. If you need a lot of novelty caution tape, opt for purchasing it online. Many stores offer discounts for bulk purchases that will cost less than the amount of acrylic paint you need for an entire roll of special tape.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for