Acetone is a common organic solvent. It is relatively non-toxic, though it can irritate the skin and lungs. Acetone is commonly found in nail polish remover and some paint strippers. Organic solvents, like acetone, will dissolve organic compounds, like plastic. Adding a plastic to a small amount of acetone will create a gooey liquid. The liquid will act like a glue once it is allowed to dry and the acetone evaporates.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Nitrile gloves
- Small glass dish
- Old polystyrene
- Stirrer (Popsicle stick)
Put the nitrile gloves on.
Fill the small glass dish about one-quarter of the way full with acetone.
Break up the polystyrene into small pieces. The smaller the better because the plastic will break apart faster.
Add the plastic slowly to the acetone while mixing with the stirrer.
Once the liquid starts to become very thick it can be used as a plastic glue. The stirrer makes a good applicator for the homemade glue.
Tips and warnings
- Acetone has strong vapours and should not be inhaled, ingested or brought in contact with any mucous membrane, like your eyes and nose.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for