Even the littlest fashionistas deserve a little "bling" in their wardrobes. Bling pacifiers have designs like shiny, gem-encrusted lips and fancy monograms. While cute and stylish, toxic glue and lead-containing crystals led to a recall of commercially manufactured bling pacifiers. Make your own safe bling pacifier using glue that is non-toxic, water-soluble and safe. Select "gems" made of acrylic or glass that do not contain lead. By making your own bling pacifier, you will know that everything that comes close to baby is safe.
Things you need
Small dishes or containers
Acrylic or glass "gems"
Clean the areas of the pacifier where the "bling" will be placed with glass cleaner and a soft cloth. Allow it to dry.
Draw the design for the bling pacifier on paper with a pencil. Sort coloured gems into small dishes or containers to facilitate easy use.
Apply non-toxic, water-soluble glue in small amounts on the pacifier. Place gems on the pacifier by hand or use a pair of tweezers as indicated in the design. Continue until your design is complete.
Apply heat from a hair dryer. The heat will make the glue bond with the gems and strengthen the pacifier. Allow the pacifier to cool and set for 24 hours.
- Bling pacifiers are not meant to be used everyday, but on special occasions. Experiment with colour combinations and designs.
- Do not use real crystals as they contain lead. Do not place any gems on the side of the pacifier that is against the baby's mouth. Always check the bling pacifier for any loose gems. Do not give the pacifier to the baby if any gems are loose.
Tips and Warnings
- Bling pacifiers are not meant to be used everyday, but on special occasions.
- Experiment with colour combinations and designs.
- Do not use real crystals as they contain lead.
- Do not place any gems on the side of the pacifier that is against the baby's mouth.
- Always check the bling pacifier for any loose gems. Do not give the pacifier to the baby if any gems are loose.
Things you need
- Glass cleaner
- Soft cloth
- Small dishes or containers
- Acrylic or glass "gems"
- Non-toxic glue