Place mats not only can keep food from hitting your table's surface or tablecloth, but they also protect the table from scratches and scrapes. When you have a round table, it can be cumbersome to use the standard rectangular place mats that are available in most stores. Luckily, you can make place mats for a round table without much trouble. Make as many place mats as your size table can hold without overlapping.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Large piece of paper
- Two fabrics
- Fusible interfacing
- Sewing machine
Cut a large piece of paper into a 14-inch by 16-inch rectangle. Set the paper down with the 16-inch length running along the top and bottom.
Shape your paper to look like a wide triangle with the top cut off by placing a ruler along the top edge of your paper. Measure in from each top corner 1 1/2 inches, and mark that point along the top of the paper. Draw a line from the marked point on the top left of the paper to the bottom-left corner of the paper. Draw a second line from the marked point on the top right to the bottom-right corner.
Cut along the newly drawn lines on the sides. Trim around each corner to round them, if desired, or leave each corner with just straight lines.
Cut each fabric and a piece of interfacing to 14-inch by 16-inch rectangles. Follow the manufacturer's directions to fuse your interfacing to the back of one of your fabrics.
Place your paper pattern over each piece of fabric and cut out the outline of your pattern to trim away the excess fabric. Pair the two fabrics together with the right sides facing in, and pin along the edges.
Sew a ½-inch seam all the way around your two fabrics, leaving a 3-inch opening along one side. Turn the place mat inside out through the opening. Sew the opening closed to complete.
Tips and warnings
- To give your place mats a more finished look, sew a ¼-inch seam along all four sides of the prepared place mat using a coordinating or contrasting thread.
- Select two fabrics which coordinate with each other to make all of your place mats identical as well as reversible, so you can choose how you want the table to look.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for