Lady Gouldian finches, also known as Gouldian or rainbow finches, are a brightly colourful variety of finch, originating from Australia. In the wild, where they are currently an endangered species, they live in flocks of around 1,000 to 2,000 birds, so they prefer to be in groups. The Lady Gouldian finch has a captive life expectancy of approximately eight years.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Bird cage
- In-cage bird bath
- Finch seed mix
- Bird multivitamin supplement
- Cuttlefish bone
- Two food bowls
- Water bottle
- Cage sanitiser spray
Set up a cage appropriately for your Lady Gouldian finch. Line the bottom of the cage with newspaper to catch droppings, place an in-cage bird bath, hang a cuttlefish bone and perches, and fill one food bowl with charcoal, which is an important supplement for your bird.
Provide your Lady Gouldian finch with fresh food and water daily. Feed 1 tsp of finch seed mix per finch each day in a food bowl, and make sure you hang a water bottle, changing the water daily.
Add a multivitamin supplement to your Lady Gouldian finch's diet. Most supplements will go in the water bottle, but some can be fed with seed. Check the instructions on the supplement you have purchased for more information.
Clean out the bird cage regularly. Remove the soiled newspaper daily, and replace it with clean newspaper. Once a week, spray the bottom and the bars of the cage with a pet cage sanitiser spray, and wipe off the residue with a cloth.
Exercise your Lady Gouldian finch each day by letting it out of the cage to fly.
Tips and warnings
- You can add green vegetables or salad items, such as broccoli or fresh spinach, to your finch's diet if you wish.
- Get an appropriately-sized caged, depending on how many Lady Gouldian finch you plan to be keeping.
- When letting your bird out to exercise, it is best to confine it to one or two rooms. Make sure all windows are closed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for