Braided leather wristbands can be cute homemade accessories to wear yourself or give as a gift. Braided leather wristbands are also a less challenging homemade jewellery option, as all one requires is some leather strips, a few clamps and the ability to braid. Discovering the steps to making braided leather wristbands can help yield some fashionable results.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3, 16-inch pieces of leather string (thickness of your choice)
- 2 metal jewellery clamps
- 1 jewellery clasp
Clamp the three pieces of leather at one end with a metal jewellery clamp. These work well for leather jewellery, as knotting thick, leather string can leave you with a big clunky knot.
Separate the three pieces so that they fan out from the clamp. Begin by taking the piece to your left and laying over the middle piece, then take the piece to your right and layer it over the piece in the middle, which was previously on the left.
Take the piece that is now on the far left and layer it over your middle piece, which was previously on the right. Continue down the leather, switching between layering the left piece over the middle and the right piece over the middle until you've braided all your leather string.
Wrap the braided piece around your wrist to ensure it fits; if it is too large, cut the braid to the length that you want. Clamp the other end of your braid, so that both ends have metal clamps securing them shut.
Attach one end of your clasp to one of the metal clamps, opening the hoop of your clasp with tweezers, threading it into the hole of your metal clamp and closing it. Repeat with the other part of your clasp to the other metal clamp.
Tips and warnings
- To further hold leather jewellery in place, apply a dab of super glue inside the metal clamps before clamping them onto the gathered ends of your bracelet.
- Use three different colours of leather string to make a colourful wristband, or use one colour for a more subdued look.
- During the braiding process you can loop string through charms to add some decor to the wristband.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for