Children learn more easily when they have visual aids, such as hand puppets, which can be used to perform a theatrical play about the topic you are teaching. For example, when teaching children about Bible stories you can create Bible-themed puppets to use in an educational puppet show. In order to make your puppets resemble characters from the Bible, look at images from religious books to help you re-create Biblical-era dress.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 2 felt sheets, 12 inches by 9 inches
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue stick
- Coloured felt scraps
- 2 googly eyes
- Brown yarn
Place the two sheets of felt together on top of each other.
Place your hand onto the top of the felt squares, and stretch your hand so that the thumb and pinky are splayed out.
Trace around your hand. Trace around the thumb, around the three middle fingers as a group, then around the pinky. Leave a 1-inch allowance around your hand as you trace.
Cut out the shape, making sure you cut through both layers of felt.
Squeeze a line of hot glue around the perimeter of one of the puppet shapes, leaving the bottom unglued.
Place the second puppet shape on top of the first, pressing the glued areas together.
Add details to the front of the puppet to transform it into a Bible character. Make a puppet of Mary, for example, by gluing pieces of light blue felt onto the puppet's body to resemble her dress and gluing brown yarn onto the puppet's head to resemble her hair. Allow the glue to dry completely.
Glue two googly eyes onto the face of the puppet.
Draw a nose and mouth onto the puppet's face with markers. Repeat this process to create other Bible characters, such as Jesus, Joseph, Noah or Esther.
Tips and warnings
- Glue objects onto the puppets to make them more closely resemble Bible characters. For example, glue a stick onto the hand of a shepherd puppet to act as the shepherd's staff; glue a halo around the head of Jesus using a piece of gold chenille stick; or glue two flat stones onto the hands of Moses.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for