Furniture is an investment. Keeping it looking new is difficult, especially when pets and children are in the home. Scotchgard is a product available to help prevent stains from happening on standard fabrics such as cotton, wool, polyester, nylon and silk. Scotchgard is environmentally friendly, safe for children and pets, odour free and non-flammable. Commercial grade polypropylene, nylon and polyolefin are already stain resistant and don't require treatment.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clean white cotton cloth
- Soft bristle paint brush
Shake the can of Scotchgard and, in a well-ventilated area. Spray it onto a small hidden section of the couch until the fabric is wet. This test will determine whether the product stains your sofa's fabric.
Wipe the wet section of the couch with the white cotton cloth. If colour transfers to the cloth, stop. The fabric is not colour-safe to continue.
Spray the rest of the couch with Scotchgard. Hold the can 6 inches from the fabric and spray in sweeping motions with a slight overlap to ensure even coating.
Allow the couch to air dry for eight hours. Any foam residue left from spraying will soak into the couch.
Brush off any powder residue that was left behind from the drying process, with a new soft paint brush.
Tips and warnings
- Shake the can often to ensure spray is properly mixed. Several cans will be required for one couch, make sure to purchase what you need before you begin.
- Quickly wipe up any over-spray or drips on leather, vinyl, plastic or fibreglass.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for