Dry skin on dogs can be caused by dryness and an overly warm house in the winter time, skin issues, irritations, old age and many other reasons. Repeated bouts of dry skin can make your dog uncomfortable and result in expensive trips to see the veterinarian. Unless your dog's dry skin issue is very severe a home remedy using baby oil may alleviate the issues causing your dog to have dry skin.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Anti-septic mouthwash
- Spray bottle
Combine equal parts of an antiseptic mouthwash, baby oil and water in a bowl. Use a mouthwash that contains menthol and eucalyptol, as these herbal oils have the properties of an anti-fungal and can help soothe or alleviate skin problems contributing to the dryness.
Stir the solution well so the baby oil is mixed in. Pour the baby oil solution into a spray bottle.
Shake the mixture before each application to ensure the baby oil is mixed with the other ingredients. Spray the solution directly on the dry skin patches or areas on your dog. Gently rub the oil solution into your dog's skin.
Check the area in 15 minutes. If the skin still appears to be very dry, apply a little more of the baby oil solution and rub it in. Repeat this treatment every few days or once a week, depending on the severity of your dog's dry skin.
Tips and warnings
- Irritated skin, coupled with hair loss, can signal parasites in your dog's body. Bring your dog to the veterinarian if dry skin issues won't go away.
- Too much of the baby oil solution can leave your dog's coat feeling and looking greasy. Follow the "less is more" rule.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for