A twisted seed bead necklace is a simple yet elegant accessory appropriate to wear with a suit at the office or with a cocktail dress at a party. Seed beads are very inexpensive and available in pre-strung strands or loose, in many clear and opaque colours. Use your creativity to combine colours for an endless number of designs.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 20-gauge jewellery wire
- Wire cutter
- Needle nose pliers
- Jewellery pliers
- Seed bead beading filament
- Seed beads
- Beading needle
- 2 jewellery cones
Cut two three-inch pieces of wire. Make a wrapped loop with each of them by wrapping the wire around your needle-nosed pliers, one inch from the end. Make a 1/4-inch loop by wrapping the short end of the wire around the base of the loop. You will have a two-inch piece of wire with a loop at the end.
Cut 18 strands of beading filament, 24 inches long. Gather the strands together, making sure the ends are even, and tie the bundle to one of the loops with a square knot.
String 18 inches of seed beads on the filaments. Knot the ends of the filament to hold the beads in place.
Ask a friend to hold the wire loop end of the necklace or use a piece of wire to tie it to a doorknob. Separate the strands of beads into three groups of six. Twist each group counterclockwise until it is completely twisted. Then twist the three strands together clockwise. This is the same process used in rope making and will keep the necklace twisted.
Gather all the beading threads together and tie them to the other wrapped loop with a square knot. Cut off the excess thread. Put a drop of glue on each knot to keep it tied. Thread a jewellery cone on the wires of each loop and attach a clasp to the wire sticking through the cone.
Tips and warnings
- If you want your necklace to have a single smooth twist, tie the strands of beads to the loop without twisting them. After you attach the clasps twist the necklace before you close the clasp. If you keep it clasped it will not become untwisted. You can wear this type of necklace straight for a different look. Use strands of pre-strung seed beads to make this necklace in minutes.
- Leave 1/4 inch of thread sticking out beyond your knots to keep them tied.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for