If you want your gifts to stand out, put them in custom-made gable boxes. Gable boxes are folded cardboard shaped into a box with handles. These boxes are easy to make and can be made with a variety of choices. You may play with its design, add floral patterns on it or strap a piece of silk on it. Gable boxes are also great as food carriers, so you can make cupcakes and hand them out to your friends wrapped in these boxes.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Scoring tool
Take a piece of cardstock and spread it in front of you on a flat surface. Use a sheet that measures 8½ -by-11 inches.
Take a scoring tool and score the long side of the cardboard at ½ inch. Score the next score lines at 3½, 5¾ and 8¾ inches.
Turn the sheet over and score along its short sides at 3 and 6½ inches.
Cut all the scored lines with scissors, up to the line in the middle.
Turn to the ½ inch scored line and cut off its outer edges. The centre piece is your tab. Apply adhesive or a sticky strip on the ½-inch tab.
Flip the sheet over so that the more narrow flaps are at the bottom. Apply adhesive on the longer flaps of the bottom. Turn the sheet to its upper edge and add adhesive to the more narrow flaps, along the short sides of the sheet. Fold over or cut off the wider flaps of the upper sheet side. The remaining flaps will be the handles.
Pre-fold every scored line on the sheet, except for the scored lines of the handles.
Take a pencil and draw a handle hole with dotted lines on the inside of the handle part. It should start at ½ inch from the upper edge of the handle. Make the handle hole a circle or a square, whatever you wish. Cut the hole out using a utility knife or scissors.
Fold the sides of the box up and stick them onto the sides with adhesive on them. Pull the smaller bottom pieces in and fold the larger ones over them.
Decorate the box using stamps, glitter or any decorative piece you want.
Tips and warnings
- Unfold an old gable box that you have at home and use it as a pattern to make a new one.
- Try to assemble the box prior to putting the adhesive on its edges.
- Be careful when using scissors or a utility knife, especially if children are helping.
- Be careful not to have excess glue on the inside of the box, especially if you plan to carry food inside it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for