One way to add some colour to your wardrobe is to dye older clothing. Older clothing that has been worm out or even stained will look brand new if it's dyed a new colour. Dying clothes also comes in handy if you found the perfect top or bottom but it isn't the right colour. Instead of searching for the perfect colour, dye the clothing whatever colour you like. Even wool can be successfully dyed any colour, as long as the wool clothing is white or light coloured.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Washing machine
- 1 packet powder dye per 0.454kg. of clothing
- Medium bowl
- 2 cups hot water
- Wool fabric
Turn your washing machine on to the hottest heat setting possible. If your wool clothing is not pre-shrunk, you may have to dye the wool in warm water. However, keep in mind that the hotter the water, the deeper and brighter the colour will be.
Pour one packet of powder dye into a bowl. You should use one packet of powder dye for every one lb. of wool clothing that you have. Add two cups of very hot water to the powder dye to make the dye bath.
Pour the dye bath into the washing machine when it has completely filled up with water.
Soak the wool clothing in warm water before placing it into the washing machine. This will help to ensure even dying on the garment.
Place the wool clothing into the washing machine. Allow the clothing to "wash" in the dye bath for at least 30 minutes. The longer the wool is left in the dye bath, the deeper the colour will be.
Take the clothing out of the washing machine. Rinse the clothing under cool water until the water runs clear. Hang the clothing to dry.
Tips and warnings
- The dye can stain the inside of your washing machine. To ensure it doesn't, turn the washing machine on to it's highest heat setting; add one cup of regular washing powder and one cup of bleach to the hot water. Allow the washing machine to run as normal to clean.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for