The fireplace tends to be the focal point of a room. Adding decorative touches to the mantel or surrounding space brings the fireplace to life. Using a mirror above the mantel can enlarge and heighten the space above the fireplace while reflecting the room. Placing candles in large candle holders in front of the mirror will give even more drama to the space. For an extra touch, placing tall cylindrical vases filled with bare branches on the hearth or mantel will add even more dimension to the fireplace.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Framed mirror, sized to fit mantel
- Tall candle holders, two
- Medium-sized candle holders, two
- Pillar candles to fit holders, four
- Votive candles, six
- Cylindrical vases, two
- Bare branches, real or artificial
Measure the mantel. Measure the space from the mantel to the ceiling. Purchase a mirror, preferably framed, that fits that space. Match the mirror frame with your existing decor or contrast your decor with the frame. For example, if your room is all white, you may want to choose a mirror with a white frame. For a contrast with the room, you may want to choose a bold, black framed mirror for more drama. Hang the mirror above the mantel.
Place tall pillar candles on holders in front of the mirror. Position two on each side of the mantel if the space permits. Use one tall one and one shorter one on each side.
Place the tall cylindrical vases on either end of the mantel. If they are very large, you can place them on the floor on either side of the hearth. Fill the vases with tall branches or tall stemmed flowers, if you prefer.
Scatter the votive candles around the mantel.
Tips and warnings
- Keep all candles the same colour when purchasing. This will keep the look of the fireplace elegant.
- Matching the pillar candle holders and the mirror frame is a great way to keep the look uniform.
- Be sure to anchor your mirror when hanging it. Purchase an anchor kit for mirrors at your local hardware store. Mirrors can be heavy, so it is important to hang them securely.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for