You've gone and done it again--forgotten to place a trivet under hot pot and now there's a burn mark on your Formica. Formica is a strong, popular plastic laminate material that is made of melamine crystal. One of the many possible uses of Formica in your home is to install countertops of Formica in your kitchen. They are popular because Formica can be made to look like almost any other material like granite, marble or limestone at a much lower cost. Sometimes the Formica can be ruined by scorch and burn marks, but removing these marks is possible.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Liquid cleaner
- Non-abrasive toothpaste
- Baking soda
Clean with a sponge and liquid cleaner any dirt from the countertop to make sure you can see all of the burn mark.
Mix plain, non-abrasive toothpaste with baking soda until you have a thick paste. Make more than you think you might need so you don’t have to stop during cleaning to make more.
Spread some of the paste onto the burn mark with a soft toothbrush. Let the paste sit on the mark for several minutes.
Rub the paste into the burn with the toothbrush until the mark comes away.
Wipe the paste off of the countertop with a clean cloth until the Formica is clear of burn residue and paste.
Tips and warnings
- Keep hot pads or trivets near your stove to prevent any burn marks from forming on the Formica.
- Never use coarse materials to clean your countertops or you will mar the surface of the Formica.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for